Wonderful people who make this blog worth updating

Saturday, November 14, 2009

How To Eat a Pomegranate

It's Pomegranante season! I just got 8 of them for $2 at this great bargain grocery place near my house.

I thought I would share this great fruit with my readers along with an easier way of opening them.
Some people cut the pomegranate in half to remove the seeds. Don't.
Its messy and destroys a lot of the seeds in the process.
Instead, score the blossom end like a plus sign (+), but only go as deep as the outer skin.

You can see the lines if you look closely
Next, pull the top of each section, and it will begin to split along the membranes. After you pull a few of the seeds away, you will able to break it in pieces from the outside with very little pressure. When it breaks this way you will be able to brush off the seeds section by section into a bowl very easily.

 This is where it starts to split easily
Notice some of the seeds are brown, maybe thats why they were so cheap!

If you find that there are little pieces of the membrane stuck to the seeds, you can rinse them in a bowl of water and the membranes will float away.

Do you eat the whole seed? Of course!
I think its wasteful to just suck the juice out and throw the seeds away. Plus, the seeds give you all the vitamins and fiber too!

Enjoy

14 comments:

caraboska said...

This is one sign that the standard of living has really changed in Poland - we can actually get pomegranates in the supermarket! Praise God!

Susanne said...

Maybe I'll have to try them after reading this! Thank you!

.::Tuttie::. said...

I always butcher mine. I suck so badly. JazakaAllah khayr for the tutorial TOTALLY needed it. but wait in season where? I am in the USA.

A'isha said...

I live in the USA too and i just bought 2 at the grocery store but they are expensive like $2 each...but i love them and i havent had one in a very long time!

Unknown said...

Thank you! I always wondered. :D I was afraid to buy them in case parts of it were poisonous or something.

Anonymous said...

Great to know, now I won't be scared to buy them. :D

Mona Zenhom said...

I love pomegranate. We buy like 7 at a time and peel/disassemble? all of them into a bowl and keep it in the fridge. So yummy. I eat the whole seed too.

Stacy K. said...

@Tuttie and Aisha, They are grown mainly in central/southern CA, but they also grow in other places like AZ and even here in OR. I got mine at this cut price produce place b/c they were small, so you might look for a place like that or a farmers' market.

Safiyyah said...

Salaams!
I love them, too, but man, they stain everything, lool.

Odna said...

.... I want some pomegranate... they are so expensive here... >_< snif...

GTFrenzy said...

I love them! They take a while to open them up but it is worth the wait!

Banana Anne said...

I've only had pomegranates once in my life. I wasn't too impressed with them, but I don't think I had a very good one.

Also, thanks for being my first subscriber! :D

Maryam said...

POMEGRANATES! Yum yum :D

I could eat these all day!

Anonymous said...

Persians eat Pomegranets with love and gusto, they are called "anar" in Farsi and had a pre-Islamic symbolism of female fertility. Some ways we eat them is to do as u do, split them open and just eat the seeds (by the handful)...or keep the anar whole and squeeze it in the hands until squishy, make a small hole with and suck the juice out. There are other methods to but those are the most popular. I love Iran in anar season...they are EVERYWHERE and the varieties there you can't get in the US, most anar in the US are a bit tart. There are these big red, juicy SWEET ones in Iran which are like candy...